Sunday, April 1, 2012

What is a funk?

A funk is a place somewhere between happy and sad. I know this place well, I have visited it many times throughout my life. I never know when I' m going and I never know when I'll return. However, after so many visits I have the comfort of knowing the visit isn't long and I always return ... always.
I've been reflective today and it occurred to me that my most recent funk was brought on by two funerals a theft and my son's 30th birthday. My own mortality has become more apparent and I can't say I'm crazy about it. But, with age I have acquired a lot of wisdom and I find pleasure in that. Wisdom tells me there is a wonderful place beyond  ...
 
Yesterday my daughter asked Joe and I to join her in seeing the movie "Mirror Mirror." To be honest I felt it would be a waste of money and we should wait for it to come out on video. But, it was gloomy all day so why not sit in a dark theater for a few hours and escape to another place. Good choice, no GREAT choice. This light hearted re-adaptation of Snow White was just what I needed to return from my visit with funk.  Mirror Mirror was cute, no real violence, funny and held our attention for the entire time. Not to mention the great costumes! 
 
I got up this morning to a beautiful, clear, bright sun shiny day. Life was good. I sewed a bit, Joe and I went for lunch and a trip to my favorite Dollar Tree Store and then back home. I poured a glass of wine and went outside to hear the birds singing, chatting to one another and deciding where I will place my bird bath once I get one.

After I came back inside I found myself looking at my collection of things I treasure and decided to take some pictures and share them. 
 My dads childhood marbles and some of my jar collection
Some of my most recent quilting projects ...
Two sets of salt and pepper shakers that belonged to my grandma with a very busty hand carved mammy in the center!
Firkins and more quilts ...
Longaberger baskets
Family and Longaberger photos 



       


                  Places I love ...










                   Horses - from a time so long AGO ....

These are the things that make our house a home. Things that have soul and are loaded with memories. Simplify ... wish I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment