Thursday, April 26, 2012

Remembering Lois

Good afternoon! I went sewing yesterday with my lady friends whom one of them is Penny. Penny's mom Lois recently passed away and Penny and her family have been doing the horrible job of clearing out Lois' home. Well, I received a surprise yesterday, pewter! Penny found a few pieces of pewter and none of her siblings were interested in it so she brought it with her yesterday to see if I would like to be it's new owner.
I can not tell you how thrilled I was for two reasons. The obvious, I am now the owner of a lovely set of salt and pepper shaker/grinders and a wine rest. Aren't they so pretty? The other is two fold, I will always treasure the fact that they had once belonged to Penny's mom and that I am now the care taker of an heirloom. As we sewed yesterday we were discussing the fact that our children have no interest in decorating with the family heirlooms we have treasured over the years. What will become of them? Will my father's WW II military mementos find a home at the local Goodwill? Their great-grandfather's Bronze Star and commendation signed by President Wilson after taking a bullet for our country at the battle of Aragon in France during WW I in a yard sale?  Oh how I hope not, these have been treasures in my own home and I pray they will remain in our family. But, I need to respect my children and their choices and remember we are not the same. As I quickly approach 60 my own mortality is becoming more apparent. 
I have always had an attraction to antiques and have valued the few that I was blessed enough to inherit from my own family. I'm holding fast to the idea that one of my own darling grandchildren will share my passion for the past and one day beg me for the family heirlooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment