Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mom ...

Mom ... such a small word for such an important person. Happy Mother's Day to anyone who has "mothered." Mothering is not just about a woman and a child, I have known many men who have mothered their child or a dying wife. I have witnesses a child mother a mom with a broken heart or an friend mothering another friend in a time of great need. Mothering takes many forms - and just because a woman gives birth to a child doesn't mean she is a mom.
Being a mom is a talent, a gift from God that is accepted with gratitude and passed on with love. AND if you have mothered, or been truly a mom you know it doesn't always come easy and you do not receive a promise of rewards!
Mother's Day for me is bittersweet. I miss my own mom terribly. She was such a huge presence in my life that when she passed I felt abandoned. However, I have the love of my own two children who have richly blessed my life and I would be absolutely lost without them. My daughter, Tiffany gave me the most amazing gift. I hosted a luncheon yesterday for 30 women. Tiffany gave me the gift of her time and willingness to help serve food, do dishes, clean up and visit with the guests. In brief, she was another me, she allowed me the time to rest, visit with my guests and enjoy the day.
As you go through your day take a minute to reflect on all the people who have mothered you and give them a silent thank you. 
And give yourself a pat on the back for being a mom, nurturing a friend in need or even being a mom to a motherless animal.
 
In memory of my mom ... I love you ....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment