Saturday, June 16, 2012

Happy Father's Day

Tomorrow we celebrate Father's Day ... a time to treat our father's to breakfast, a new neck tie or maybe a BBQ with extended family. However, I will not enjoy any of those special times. My dad passed away when I was 29 year old... he was only 55. I was 4 months pregnant with my son and my 3 year old daughter truly adored her "mamps" and couldn't understand where heaven was and why he couldn't visit from there.
30 years later I find myself still missing him, I remember him like he had just recently passed. Daddy was the force behind every holiday, he carved the pumpkins, decorated the house for Christmas, played the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny. He worked hard as a heavy equipment operator, he came home to mom and I every night and always tucked his "doodle bug" into bed. He built a monster BBQ in our back yard and it was his Sunday ritual to BBQ for the neighborhood. We were his world and he was ours. 

However, make no mistake, when I was out of line he made sure I new it. One sharp look made me shake in my shoes, consequently I was a pretty obedient child! In my teen years I wanted to wear false eyelashes, he HATED them and called me Daisy Duck. A gold chain anklet was my dream. I wanted one for my birthday so bad and it's all I asked for ...  my dad absolutely refused, only "fast" girls wore those and I was not going to get one! Can you imagine what he would say today about tattoo's, body piercing, pick hair etc???

Dad left us much to young.  If your dad is still with you treasure him, listen to his stories, let him know her is loved. Time passes so quickly, don't miss your chances while he is here.

Paul Albert Pritts - My Dad

Sorry this is so blurry. The little guy on the left is my uncle Leonard and the right is my dad. They were both members of the Logan Marching band!

No comments:

Post a Comment