Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Flag Day 2012

I bet you don't know the history of "Flag Day." Not many do, it wasn't until the Longaberger Co. designed their first flag basket that I took the initiative to learn the story behind this nationally celebrated day.
This large Magazine Basket was one of the first flag basket designs the company created. The pewter plate on the front was for their 30 Anniversary!
 Here is a much smaller version of the same basket. This was an exclusive design for Collectors Club members only.

Now for some history! In 1885 a school teacher chose to celebrate the United States flag on June 14. This was the 108 anniversary of the "Star Spangled Banner," the song written by Francis Scott Key during the Revolutionary War. As time passed numerous communities, schools etc. also began celebrating the flag. In 1916, President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed May 30th the official Flag Resolution of 1777 day to celebrate. Although the flag was continuously celebrated across the country it wasn't until 1949 
when President Truman signed an Act of Congress on August 3 designating June 14 of each year to be celebrated and National Flag Day. It has been noted that Americans have more pride in their flag then most nations, thus the reason our flag is burned and destroyed as a sign of disrespect in foreign countries.
As a person born on the 4th of July I have a huge respect for our flag and they are proudly displayed all over my home and yard! Here are just a few ....
My office cabinet ....

The downstairs powder room ....

My living room ...

Back yard, they're even on my fence!


 And finally, the front porch!
Thank you for sharing in my fond respect for the flag. I hope you have one proudly flying in or on your own home!

No comments:

Post a Comment