Sunday, March 25, 2012

Sew what you ask??

Yes, it was my turn one again to host our monthly sew day. I love this day, one of my favorites of the month. This month I celebrated Easter and Spring time as my theme. I should have taken a pic of my table but I forgot! Can you believe that!! Anyway, I did get a few shots of Penny and Rita ...
There was some serious sewing going on here today!
... Rita is ironing and Penny is observing!
 This is row #6 and #5 is underneath ... two more rows to go then we put them all together! Woo hoo!
Boye Brand Needle dial      



I was having some issues with my Red Featherweight sewing machine so I took it for a little ride to visit Mr. Askew for a tune up. While I was there he shared some of his vintage treasures with my friends and I and even agreed to sell us something. Check this out ...

These were used in the early 20th century to house sewing machine needles. This large round container holds literally 100's of needles. To find the needle for your machine a person would simply turn the large chrome dial to the name of their machine, open the window at the top and ...
 these wooden needle barrels are inside! Each barrel holds 6 needles. On the top is written the size of the needle to fit the machine in question! I love this contraption and have it hanging on the wall in my sewing room. When I take a break from sewing I find myself leaning back in my chair and daydreaming about what kind of woman opened this little door and selected her needles. Was she sewing for her family, as a job to make money to help support her family or did women of that era even sew as a hobby like we do today? All I can do is wonder what was made and what machine was she using ...

No comments:

Post a Comment