Sunday, March 4, 2012

Friends Old and New, Shopping and Quilting ....

Until four years ago I didn't have to much use for a sewing machine. I made my children's Halloween costumes and mended, that was about it. Then I met quilting and a love affair had begun. My husband purchased me a Singer at my local Walmart and I jumped in, not really knowing what I was in for. Last summer I literally wore out the singer and purchased a Viking with more power and stability. Ahh, now I could really sew ... 
Fast forward to this past Friday. My long time friend and quilter Paula Brown traveled down from Quincy, Ca. so the two of us could attend out first retreat together. Oh my gosh, did we have a great time. Here she is entering a favorite shop, Temecula Quilt Co. Filled with Civil War fabrics and patterns ... my personal favorites!!
Over the next couple of days we sewed ...
 Paula is very busy squaring up a 1 1/2 inch block.
My new friend Ginger, from Wisconsin is busy repairing my machine (she's an expert!) Here is what she found and is the culprit of my problems.
Fuzz, lint, broken needle pieces ... yep - this causes havoc with a sewing machine. In my defense I haven't been able to get the screw out of my machine to clean under the bobbin case. Ginger couldn't either, it took all 12 of us and Laurie (my other new friend) was finally the one with the muscles!! Thank you, thank you Laurie and Ginger.
Linda and our awesome organizer Rita Jones adding whipped cream, oh yummmm.

Did I mention champagne????



So, we shopped, sewed, repaired machines and ate and ate and ate. The retreat center fed us like royalty, we all brought lots of treats and wine and champagne and I brought bread pudding, oh my it was soooo good.
Here is what happens when you eat (and drink) too much. You have Smoothie Tums for a bed time snack. Paula is all cozy in her bed with here flannel quilt and bottle of Tums!
The Center is run by the Catholic nuns, "Sisters of the Community of Mary" They do an amazing job spoiling us.




 Retreat Center in gorgeous Temecula.












Morning McDonald's Coffee and Iced Tea run ...
Projects are coming together ever so slowly. This one block has 25 pieces ... finished block is 4 inches, very SMALL!
 My blocks are done and ready for sashing.


Eva has one of her blocks done, love these yummy ice cream colors.










My mentor and good, good friend Penny Hunter 
working hard on her very mini 9 patch quilt.









All done! Isn't it darling and perfect for framing.


Another very special and long time friend Debbie Ward. She has completed a quilt for her sisters birthday. Isn't is beautiful?? I love these colors together.









Ginger completed two quilts. She calls this one "A Dysfunctional Christmas." I love it, how about y'all!!
Here is a  bit of quilting chronology. Now pay attention and stay with me. Ginger (above) taught Penny and Rita to quilt at different times. Later she introduced these two who have become great friends. Penny and Ginger taught Paula her first quilting techniques. Penny introduced me to Longaberger baskets ... Debbie Ward and I worked together for many years and we both caught the basket bug together and I met Paula through Longaberger baskets as well. I know you're asking "how did Penny meet Ginger?" Yep, you guessed it, Longaberger baskets! So, the way I see it Longaberger and Penny Hunter are responsible for this whole 6 degrees of separation. Do you agree???
I'm almost done, needs borders and corner stones. Paula's needs a bit more work!
 This is the entire gang, look at all those happy, smiling faces. If you look closely you can see Sani in the back row exactly center (dark brown hair) She is creating a betik paper pieced creation that look more like a water color piece of art then a quilt. This is so complex I can not even begin to wrap my brain around how she is doing it! I hope to see it when it's completed.
In the big picture Longaberger brought us all together, Rita made this amazing retreat possible ... Thanks so much Rita for a wonderful weekend. Anita and Paula

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful time spent with quilting friends. Everyone had fabulous projects. It makes me what to get busy and start a new project.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mary, we did have a great trip with wonderful weather! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anita,

    I love all of your quilts. I signed up for a quilting 101 class at Joann Fabrics for next month. We'll see how it goes. :) Kim See ya on Saturday

    ReplyDelete