Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Neither Rain, Nor Sleet or .......

Or howling winds can keep a quilter away from her destined retreat. California finally received the much anticipated and needed rain on the exact day I was to head south for a quilting retreat. I had loaded my car up the day before to avoid the hassle of doing it in the midst of a storm. By 9:30 am Friday morning I was ready to go and headed out into the pouring rain. In addition to all the rain we were also blessed with an abundant amount of wind. Between my home in Fullerton and the Tamcula retreat center I went through standing water on the freeways (always fun) mud sliding off the hills and onto to the roadway, four car accidents, with one large truck resting on top of a K-rail in the center of the freeway! This was just the travel fun, once I arrived at my destination I had to unpack my car in the pounding and blowing rain! After several trips in and out I was soaked to the core and looked like a drowned rat! Yes, quilters are NUTS!
I was just one of 19 crazy women battling the elements to get here. I staying in at meal time and this was a perfect time to get a picture of our work space.  Love coming to the Temecula Retreat Center, the rooms are large, the food was fabulous and the lodging is warm and cozy. What more does a girl need? Oh yes, good friends!
Here is the retreat co-oridinator Rita. Being that we are so close to Easter I felt it was important for Rita to have some bunny ears!  
 Rita selected a quilt project for us to do as a group ...
a small scrappy table topper properly named "Simply Charming" Using only Charm Packs and some border pieces we each created these ....
These were the first four to be completed .... We were given the materials prior to arriving with cutting instructions and once we arrived we received the piecing directions. If you look closely you will notice they are each a little bit different. ....
Finally got mine together, that scrappy border caused me grief, but with the help of the team I was able to get the darned thing on!
Don't look to closely, I don't want you to see the flaws! My hubby Joe gave me this sweatshirt for Christmas ... "Keep Calm and Quilt On" Perfect sentiment for a rainy weekend don't you think?
 We were treated to a weekend of surprises after our meals. A cute box filled with an initial rubber stamp and a pewter charm ... a zippered bag holding a charm dangle to attach to our scissors (love this too) one afternoon we received a fizzy pick me up ...
Mine was Dang! A red creme soda, my husband will love this! Along with a box of vintage candies. Rita also made each of us a fabric name plate for the back of our finished quilt and what does every quilter need before she finishes up?? A lint roller!! Yep, we are always covered in threads both large and small! She made sure we didn't go home with any evidence on our clothes!

 Thank you Rita and Penny, the retreat was awesome and you are both amazing friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment