Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Few Good Men

Tomorrow we celebrate President's Day. I fear to think that if I should ask some random teens at the local mall why they had the day off they would probably have no clue. However, for me personally these two men are to soul of America, they are what has made us a great nation. If you only know George Washington from what you have learned in school I encourage you to read "Being George Washington" by Glenn Beck. It's current, accurate and gives you a true sense of this man. George was modest, devoted to his wife and country and fair and kind to his slaves - he was a patriot.

In a class I took in college we were asked to write a paper on who was our favorite person in history and what is one question we would like to ask.
For me this was so easy. My favorite person in history has always been Abraham Lincoln and what would I ask him? Where did you get the strength to get out of bed each morning during the Civil War and face the challenges put before you?
He was a man sent by God to do God's work and he did it with integrity.
I asked my husband what US President from his life time would leave a lasting impression in history like George and Abe. He felt it would be Franklin Roosevelt, probably true. In turn he asked me the same question. Since Roosevelt was gone before I was born I needed think hard. Sadly I was unable to think of any president that I felt fit in their league. The one man that I did feel had the ability to walk at their side in my life time would be Dr. Martin Luther King. He was also a man of integrity, unselfishness and peace. Let us pray that my life time will have another Abe Lincoln.

No comments:

Post a Comment