Saturday, February 2, 2013

Quilt Tote Making 101

About a year ago I saw an amazing quilted tote at the Temecula Quilt Co. in Temecula of course! The tote was full of quilting goodies and was being raffled off during the So. California Quilt Run. Oh I wanted that tote so bad .... however, I didn't win it. Well a few weeks ago the tote was being offered as a class, holy moly I had to sign up and make my own. So this morning I was up bright and early and heading south to Temecula. I pulled into a parking space just a few minutes before 10:00 am ready to get busy and make my tote.
First, you completely take apart the tote, we re-use everything except the sides. Here is the bottom reattached to my quilted sides. Yes, I can hear you, my McDonald's coffee is with me, isn't it always!! Once the bottom is attached we sewed on the bias tape to tuck in all the uglies!

Ohhh, it's starting to look like a tote! See the metal frames on the table? Soon mine will be attached to the top.
I'm working on my pockets and inside lining. This had to be the most complicated part of the whole thing!! My little Viking just purred as she sewed through several layers of fabric and flannel! I love my machine, no frills, just power!

Our teacher .... Ms Teresa. There were 10 of us in the class and she was SO patient!
This is Sheryl's newest completed quilt top. Sheryl's favorite things to make are tiny pieced quilts .... these are 16 inch blocks! Very different for her and absolutely beautiful.
This is Catherine, she is attaching her pockets to her base, look at all those pins! Her red featherweight looks a lot like mine and boy did it work!! I was afraid mine wouldn't like all those thick layers but Catherine's just hummed right along. 
Aren't these new scissors pretty?? She just purchased them at Road to California for a pretty penny .... $50.00! Yep, this is what expensive and very sharp scissors look like. Of course I for got the name ... it begins with a "D"

Another shot with the cute little tag ... this has just increased the value!
  My completed tote! Teachers Teresa and Linda, thank you so much ladies, couldn't have done it without you.
LOVE it. Now to adapt the design the fit my Longaberger baskets! Woo hoo!!
My work is done .... now it's time to read the newest edition of Quilt Mania!!

Hope you enjoyed my class project tour as much as I did taking it! Happy Super Bowl ... Go Niners!

No comments:

Post a Comment