Monday, June 30, 2014

Picnic Season is Upon Us .....

The weather in Southern California is beautiful right now ... perfect time of year for a picnic. The 4th of July is just a few days away and what inspires us more then the 4th for an old fashioned picnic? My parents weren't big on picnic's, I don't ever in my life remember a picnic with them. However, my neighbors had a lot of kids and they loved a Sunday afternoon at the park! They were great people and never minded having a few extra kids tag along. Along with a portable BBQ a lot of weenies a mountain of potato salad and a big juicy watermelon they brought a huge old bedspread to lay on the grass for everyone to sit on. I have so many wonderful memories of those childhood picnics and the great family who loved all of us.

In the recent edition of Primitive Quilters Magazine I found a quilt pattern that caused all those summer memories to come flooding back. "Picnic in the Park" is it's name and I just love the worn and faded look of the fabrics. It was the work of the Homestead Hearth Quilt Shop in Mexico, MO. I quickly went on line and ordered the kit, I've learned the hard way that you can not wait to order these kits as they will all be gone!

I went to work on it right away, if I didn't summer would be over before it ever got out of the shipping box. It is just about finished and will go to the quilters this week. I am sharing a few pics for you to see this great fabric, once it's done I post the finished product.

I love these new Molly B fabrics by Marcus Brothers ....
I was working on the pieced border when I took this picture ...  
I love the color pallet, my quilting buddies fondly call this "mushy" ....
This quilt has a similar feel to the old worn out bedspread used so many years ago. I wish I knew what happened to that old thing, probably ended up in the trash when we all grew up and abandoned those picnics for boys, cars, and children of our own ....

No comments:

Post a Comment