Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A Little Hand Quilting ....

I have been busy creating a simple project for my friends to teach them how to "hand quilt."

This is so easy and actually relaxing to do while watching TV in the evenings. I purchased a piece of red checked fabric from Walmart and cut it to the size necessary to play a game of checkers. I searched through my blue prints and found the perfect scraps to use for the 3 inch borders. I layered a thin piece of batting between the backing piece and pinned the three layers together. I used very tiny stitches all the way around the boarder and also along the lines of the red check print.
You don't need many supplies to complete this little project. Just a nice sharp sewing needle, a spool of YLI thread and these little leather dots. I hate thimbles as much as I hate needle pricks in my finger tips! These little leather pads are just what this stitcher ordered!  
 
My three grand kids arrived last Wednesday afternoon for a weeks visit. It is always chaotic, noisy and the occasional tears. When they arrive their first request for grandma is a trip to Toys R Us. Of course I load them up and away we go. Thursday morning I came downstairs to this scene on the living room floor ...

All three of them are engrossed with my collection of 100 plus year old marbles. I have three large glass jars full of them. They belonged to my dad and my uncle when they were boys and several of the very old rock/clay marbles had belonged to my grandfather. The youngest, Alexia was sorting out all the orange ones, Austin was searching for all the rock/clay ones and Karlee was looking for the shooters. These kids have all the newest gadgets, electronic Ipads, and so on ... and here they sit with free, old tyme marbles.....
This just made me laugh so I decided to share it. My friend Amy, visiting from Wyoming was here along with my family (I had a FULL house!) This group of princesses from around the world were nestled on my stairs with Sofia and her special purple pony standing guard. Amy was heading up the stairs when she found this group of beauties and decided to get down to their level and have a chat with them! Alexia came over, wrapped her little arm around Amy's neck to hear what Amy had to say. By the time I got my camera out and running Lexi had taken off ... Amy was still chatting it up with the girls!
 Family ... there is just nothing better ....

No comments:

Post a Comment