Friday, June 19, 2015

What a Gooey Mess!

Last Saturday my buddy Amy and I got up bright & early and headed out to do some garage sale shopping. Her primary focus was to find canning jars ... CHEAP! She makes Pepper Butter from a family recipe and this is her peak season to can. I drive through neighborhoods while Amy hangs out the window looking for signs to guide us along our way. Usually I sit in the car while she scans the driveways for jars. I am trying to get rid of stuff for heavens sake not bring more into my house!! BUT, we stopped at an estate sale. An elderly man had passed and his son was cleaning house so to speak. He was a school teacher and had a treasure trove of goodies. I could see this from my view from the curb so I went to check it out. I'm always searching for pewter and I was so excited when I found a tankard in perfect condition. It will have a new home in Amy's hutch.

My GREAT find of the day were two solid oak child's classroom chairs. The bottoms were stamped LA Unified Schools. I love the beauty of oak and I love to refinish furniture.I must have inherited this from my dad, he loved making furniture as a hobby.

I was itching to get them refinished so I made a trip to the hardware store and got busy.


Here is one of the two chairs. Solid as a rock, even I can sit on them.


Just about finished with the stripping process. I had forgotten what an ooey, gooey mess this process is. 


Good ole Homer Formby's. This has been my choice of stripping solution for over 40 years. It gets the job done without eating my skin off! Check out those gloves, OMG, they were gross.


This is just about all a person needs to refinish a project. Green scrubby stuff, a towel you can throw away when you're done, gloves, Homer's stripper and his Tung Oil. Oh, and don't forget to cover your table!


And done! Finished the other one today. I was going to sell them, but I just can't ... they are so cute and so pretty. They just don't make things like they used to. If you have a solid piece of wood furniture, don't toss it, re-finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment