Thursday, February 12, 2015

I Need Some Help!

I have been making 1/2 inch 9 patch blocks for at least 3 or 4 years. When ever I had the time I would cut scraps of fabric into 3 1/2 x 1 inch strips. Once I had a nice pile I would sew them into little 9 patch blocks. About a month ago I realized I had almost 100 of these little blocks. Over the last few days I made enough to reach 100 and today I laid them out to see what it looks like. I like civil war scrappy quilts but this is sooo scrappy I decided to put it out there and ask for some input!! So ladies, here is pic number 1.

Scrappy huh??
Should I set it with a solid tea stained muslin? Or a civil war small light print or ????

Closer look ...
  I could use up some more scraps and set the blocks REALLY scrappy! Almost overwhelming!!

This is what 100 2 inch 9 patch blocks looks like.
 After looking at this for awhile I decided that maybe I should make it a rectangle ....

Here lies enough strips to make 3 more rows ... a total of 130 blocks.
While I have your attention maybe I should make more blocks and make it bigger all the way around. See my dilemma?? I just don't know what to do!!

Another shot of the scrappy setting blocks.
Now on to something else ... If you like making quilts out of small, tiny blocks like I do but feel intimidated I have a suggestion for you. Recently I purchased three or maybe four kits from the quilt shop Primitive Gatherings. I have blogged about this shop before so it should be a familiar name! Lisa Bonigan, the owner does a wonderful job with her patterns and instructions, (meaning they make sense and are correct!!) Over the years I have made many small quilts and I have struggled with making the blocks look even. Well, my dear blog friends Lisa has made the whole experience so much easier!!! If you are in So Cal. or Wisconsin visit her shop Primitive Gatherings or you can shop online at www.primitivegatherings.com. Her small quilt kits are not pricey so buy one, read the directions all the way through, purchase the suggested items and you will be so happy with your results. I made the little quilt "Four Dozen" in just a few days and I am so pleased with the results. It's on her website so check it out!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
With Valentines day just a day away I used up some extra small blocks I had and made a little quilt for a friend. I named it Broken Windows! I did a little hand quilting to hold it all together. That is the beauty of smalls ... you don't have to send them out to be quilted!!


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A couple of years ago I was invaded by tiny rodents. Others might call them mice ... after several months, a contract with the Orcan man and traps all over the house I finally eradicated the little creatures. My friend Tanya new how much I loved and missed them (NOT) that she purchased these to remind me of the "good ole days."


 Let me just say ... I like these little cast iron ones soooo much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment