Monday, April 21, 2014

Settling In ....

The wedding is over, all my guests have gone home and the celebration of Jesus' re-birth is behind us. 
I can feel myself settling back into my routine and I couldn't be happier! 
For the ladies that like to craft with me I have created an Americana pillow to kick off Flag Day on June 14th.
This little hand stitched pillow is made from heathered felt and some small pieces of wool. It will finish at 12 inches square. I love it, hope the ladies do to!
 As I enjoy the beauty of spring with new flowers popping out of the earth, bright green lawns littering my neighborhood, and a tiny humming bird nested in my tree I am quickly reminded that summer and my favorite Americana holidays are close behind. Last week I pieced this very Americana doll quilt ...
Mostly pieced with red and white fabrics I added a one inch strip of blue to give it that Americana feel. Now to get it quilted!

Next challenge has been my Civil War Sampler quilt. My dear friend Penny joined me today at a local quilt shop to  select boarder fabrics.  I had hoped to step out of my usual "look" but I'm afraid I slid right back into my same routine!

I have used an aged muslin as my sashing pieces. I will use a 1 1/2 inch inner boarder with a 4 inch red outer boarder. I love red and it seems to find it's way onto the boarders of many of my quilts! I just love the aged, worn look ... I told Penny it's because I feel aged and worn!  
 I had two blocks left when I put this quilt top together so instead of putting them in a plastic box I added some boarder pieces and will turn them into pillows ...
I didn't realize how similar these two blocks were until this very moment! They are both a pinwheel style with my favorite color ... RED!
 Finally the flying geese! Oh my I have SO many of these fellas to make. Penny and I are making a small quilt called "Civil Unrest." It calls for over 200  2 1/2" flying geese pieces. I may be half way done ...
Here lies approximately enough pieces to make 40 geese, this will take a good 4 hours from beginning to end. Can you hear my sigh!! However, when it is all finished I will have such a sense of accomplishment!

Happy Patriot's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment